Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Mothers and Fathers

As my husband and I approach the teenage years with our children the more we are starting to hear things like, "I wish I had different parents!" and, "Why can't you be more like me?" or, "If you weren't my parents I don't think I would ever have anything to say to you as regular people."...ooook.  I know this will only get worse, and if it will be anything like how I was as a teen it will be MUCH worse.  Looking back I can see that (at times) I was a pure brat.  My hope is, and I do believe this is normal for a lot of people, that when they reach their twenties and begin living life on their own perspectives will change and physically (brain growth, hormones, etc.) things will begin to even out and altogether turning our children into well rounded young adults.  This is when they will start to appreciate us again, as I did my parents.

I found this song by Broods, Mother and Father, exemplifying exactly this.  I think it is beautifully written and performed.  It gives me a sense of hope and forgiveness.


No comments:

Post a Comment